Friday, March 7, 2008

Unhappy birthday to me...

This post is going to have absolutely nothing to do with books or anything that I normally post about. I'm a little pissed off and upset and just need a place to vent for a couple seconds. I have recently moved to San Diego with Girlfriend and so have spent the last month or so job hunting. About two weeks ago I accepted a job as a Program Aide at a local non profit organization. Because my job required me to sometimes come in contact with minors I had a couple requirements to go through before they could officially hire me. I had to take a drug test, get finger printed and go through an extensive background check, get a TB test, and provide them with a copy of my motor vehicle report (MVR). Everything seemed to be going smoothly. They called on Tuesday to say my background check had cleared and that I should come in on Monday for an orientation bringing with me the results of my TB test and my MVR. I went and got my TB test read yesterday and I apparently read as positive. And so I had to get a chest X-ray. In a week or so I will be mailed those results to know if I have TB infection (where I've just been exposed to the bacteria and need to take medication to kill the bacteria so it doesn't develop) or TB desease (where the infection has developed into full blown TB and I'm super contagious and gross). They said more than likely, since I am showing no symptoms, I just have TB infection, probably picked up from my time working in the Gulf Coast in questionable living arrangements, but we don't know for sure yet. And I'm supposed to be reporting to work on Monday before I'll get my results back. I called and left a message with human resources telling them I needed to discuss the results of my TB test with them, but I am worried. Can they not hire me now? Are they going to say, "Sorry, don't call us again?" Also, Girlfriend is not being totally helpful. She has started calling me "Teebs" and told me that if I really have TB I can get a hole in my lung. Thanks, babe.

1 comment:

Lezlie said...

I can't answer your questions, but I will be thinking of you . . . Good luck with everything!

Lezlie