It's possible I'm going a little crazy with the challenges, but in my defense HALF of the books I'm doing for this challenge are already being read for another challenge. So that makes it better...
The Orbis Terrarum Challenge! From March 1 to December 31, read 10 books (one for each month) by 10 authors from 10 different countries. My books will be...
1. The Girl in Saskatoon - Sharon Butala (Canada)
2. Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria)
3. The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux (France)
4. To Siberia - Per Petterson (Norway)
5. Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salmon Rushdie (India)
6. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Russia)
7. An Artist of the Floating World - Kazuo Ishiguro (Japan)
8. The Riddle of the Sands - Erskine Childers (Ireland)
9. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)
10. Billiards at Half Past Nine - Heinrich Boll (Germany)
There is an abundance of Europe, I know, but I tried to diversify into different parts of Europe. And then made sure to get something from most other continents/regions of the globe. And I made sure nothing could be chosen from the US (seeing as that's where I live) or England...so places I don't normally read from so much. I think it's a pretty good mix.