Monday, March 17, 2008

Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede

dealing with dragons
patricia c. wrede
c. 1990
240 pages



This is a book I reread for the Heart of a Child challenge (see sidebar). Generally, I don't review rereads, but this challenge required both rereads and reviews, so here you go. This book, as well as this whole series, was one of my favorite books when I was much younger. I think I read it for the first time in seventh grade. It's one of the few series of books from that long ago to have survived the recent purging of the bookshelf. I'm looking over at my shelf right now and it looks like all my Ann Rinaldi historical fiction (which I'm still collecting) and the Georgia books are the only other two YA series to have made it to San Diego.

This is a somewhat odd genre for me to love so much. I have never been a huge fan of fantasy. I like these. I like Harry Potter. I like the Alanna books. I am trying to like the Lord of the Rings (I already love the movies). I think I like fantasy that doesn't seem like fantasy. Like, the magic and whatever isn't the prevalent factor in any way. I mean, Harry Potter is very focused on the magic aspect of it, but at the same time, they're normal boy and girls going through normal girl and boy issues.

Anyway, back to Dealing with Dragons. I just think it's so clever! It's a slightly twisted fairy tale, and things that are generally accepted in the fairy tale/fantasy genre are not what you find here. It's somewhat of a parody, but is just as enjoyable looking at it for story alone.

5/5

No comments: