Friday, February 1, 2008

Persuasion - Jane Austen

persuasion
jane austen
c. 1818
189 pages

*may contain spoilers*


My first book read for the Decades Challenge (see sidebar)! Kind of exciting, I've now officially started two of my four challenges.

This is now the third Jane Austen book I have completed. I've read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility on previous occasions, and I believe Persuasion had the least hold on me. I got bored reading it. I knew going into it that it was going to be a very mild, gentle book, a comedy of manners without a lot of action, but even so I remember enjoying the quiet conversations and exchanges in the other two novels so much better. Even with the fairly simple theme of poor girls trying to make a good match, there was humor and interest and character development. And there wasn't in this one. Even with Anne and Captain Wentworth, I was disappointed. There was nothing that made me interested in them.

I do find it interesting to see how many similar twists there are in each book. Something has happened to make the girls in the family poor. There is always one gentlemen who we think is either in love or engaged to someone, though he really is not. There is always one gentleman, such as Captain Benwick or Colonel Brandon that we either dislike or think very little of who turns out to be one of the best gentleman. And there is always one gentleman who everyone thinks extremely highly of, is everyone's favorite (and causes great jealousy for another, quieter gentleman) who turns out to have an extremely sordid past.

Not bad, but definitely not my favorite.

3/5

No comments: