Friday, February 29, 2008

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving

the legend of sleepy hollow
washington irving
c. 1820
67 pages



Before I can really review this, I have to admit the somewhat embarrassing truth that somehow I missed the fact that this was a short story and not a novel. As such, you can imagine my surprise at the 67 page book I picked up from the library. Once I really thought about it, I realized I should have already known that this was just a short story. It's just a little ghost story, a legend. It even says so right in the title.

For what it was, I think I enjoyed it. I am not always one for ghost stories, but I loved the voice of the narrator, especially when he was giving descriptions of Ichabod Crane, or when he spoke of how incredible the food at the Van Tassel's party was.

I wish we had known a little more of Katrina, but I guess she wasn't really important to the story other than being the reason for the rivalry between Brom and Ichabod. I love that in the end, the narrator never comes out and says that Brom was really the Horseman, but you're pretty sure he was. I felt bad for Ichabod. Brom was an ass and I didn't think it was fair that he got to end up with Katrina.

I'm finding it a little difficult to really review such a short story. I don't really read a lot of short stories. It almost feels like there's not enough for me to really have an opinion on.

4/5

No comments: