Thursday, February 14, 2008

Booking through thursday #2...




Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?


I don't think I've ever really fallen out of love with an author. There have definitely been books that I've disliked, but if I had previously enjoyed a book by a specific author then shouldn't I give them the benefit of the doubt and read a little more before I just write them off? For example, I fell in love with Ian McEwan after reading Atonement. I couldn't wait to read others by him. And so at the end of last year I bought and read The Cement Garden. And I really didn't enjoy it. But due to my love of Atonement, I can't wait to try another.

I will say that if I don't like the FIRST book I try by a certain author, it will take a lot to get me to try another.

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Like you, I tend to give a beloved author more than one chance. There's always the possibility that I may not connect with a particular book even if I read another book by the author and really liked it.