Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg

fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe
fannie flagg
c. 1987
395 pages

*may contain spoilers*

This book was a little hard for me to read since I grew up loving the movie so much. I still watch it all the time, especially when I'm upset about something. It's one of those movies that makes anything seem better. As long as I have Ruth and Idgie, I'll be okay.

I think what irritated me, was the lack of structure. Now, that's not entirely the right word, but what I mean is, in the movie you have two stories: the story of Evelyn and Mrs. Threadgoode, and the story that Mrs. Threadgoode is telling Evelyn, that of Ruth and Idgie. Both stories go in a straight line. In the book, however, there are so many other elements. It really is like talking to a little old lady and listening to her stories of how it used to be. Things don't really go in chronological order. We kind of forget about one story and jump to another. And I got irritated because while it was fun to read the stories about when Idgie brought Miss Fancy, the elephant, over to see Naughty Bird, or about when Stump and Peggy got together, I wanted the story of Idgie and Ruth and the murder of Frank Bennet.

Had I not grown up loving this movie, I probably would have enjoyed this book a lot more. But I came into it expecting one thing and got something different.

3/5

No comments: