Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan


on chesil beach
ian mcewan
c. 2007
203 pages
completed 9/8/2009

read for: tbr challenge

*may contain spoilers*

A newly married couple in 1960's England, Edward and Florence are both excited and terrified at the though of the duty they must perform on their wedding night. As they sit over their wedding dinner looking out their hotel window onto the beach below, both contemplate the events that led to this night and it's aftermath.

I'm pretty sure Ian McEwan is one of my favorite authors. I've read four of his books now, and I've LOVED them (with one exception). His books are often so simple, about almost mundane events (in this case, the wedding night and consummation of Edward and Florence), yet there is so much to them...to the journeys that each character makes.

As for this book in particular, I was glad we got both Florence and Edward's point of view of that night. We saw both of their fears and insecurities, we saw how each of them made mistakes during their argument on the beach. The end of this book broke my heart, but after seeing how they got through their relationship and wedding, not knowing how to communicate their true feelings, I can see their was no other way for them.

5/5

No comments: