Thursday, April 17, 2008

Booking through thursday #8...




I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?

I have always thought that if I didn't understand something then I should look it up. That way I wouldn't get confused with the passage I was reading. But I never manage to do that. I feel it disrupts the flow of what I'm reading. I guess I could write down the words or phrases I don't know and look them up later, but by that time I've passed over what I didn't understand and I feel like that would just make acquiring the definition a moot point (like a cow's opinion. It's moo...).

I generally just plow through. If I don't know the word or phrase, I hope the context clues around it will make me understand enough so that I don't totally miss what's trying to be said.

No comments: