Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Everything's fine today, that is our illusion...

In late June there is A LOT to celebrate in my family. The 22nd through the 24th is three straight days of birthdays (my sister's boyfriend, my dad, and then my sister) not to mention father's day a few days before. This year we all got together for a little weekend trip to Victoria, BC. We stayed in a little hotel that was described as "part charming, part creepy" and spent a few days seeing the sights. Did some shopping, toured the big museum (I can't remember what it was called, sorry!), ate a lot of good food. I taught the family how to play mafia and my sister taught us how to play round robin pictionary. If you've never heard of or played either of those games than there is a serious hole in your life. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard.

Probably the best part of the trip was when my sisters and I ventured into the wax museum. I don't know if you've ever been to a wax museum before, but if not I'll give you a heads up. They are weird. Not just because there are all these wax people chillin everywhere, and not even because they all seem to need to have a torture chamber where there are wax figures of horrific forms of torture and execution. No, they are weird because of how completely random they are. I now have my picture taken with Walt Disney, Elvis Presley, Martin Luther, the Royal Family, John Wayne, Gandhi, and a display of someone being guillotined, among others. The picture to the right is me and the "Geniuses of Literature" or something like that. Voltaire is the one sitting in a chair. He's quite a looker, right?

There were two big tableaus that I suppose were supposed to be main focal points of the wax museum. There was a place where you could stop to watch each as different parts were lit up and a recording talked about the figures in the display. This was kind of cool, but the two displays seemed kind of odd. They didn't really match, like on cultural significance or something. One was of da Vinci's "Last Supper" which included Jesus, eleven apostles, and a figure I can only assume had been used a few years earlier as Legolas in a Lord of the Rings display (how many men living in Jerusalem do you see having waist length white blonde hair?). The other tableau was of John Franklin and the search for the Northwest Passage. Though I found it odd, Franklin's tableau was the highlight of the trip if only because this was the point where a roughly ten-year-old kid came around a corner, thought my sisters and I were part of the display as we sat on a bench listening to the recording, and then had a major freak-out when we turned out to not be wax statues. Is it mean to think it's so fun to freak out kids?

1 comment:

Hollywood Snow Removal said...

Lovely blog thanks for sharing