Sunday, January 24, 2010

Confessions - St. Augustine


confessions
st. augustine
c. 398
205 pages
completed 1/24/2010

read for: hist209 (history of christianity)

*may contain spoilers*

Can any praise be worth of the Lord's majesty?

The autobiographical account of St. Augustine's conversion to Christianity.

So this is a really odd thing to review and I don't really know what I should say about it. Also, I thought it was funny putting a spoiler alert on this post, but I like continuity and as all my other reviews have one this needed one too. But still, it's funny: spoiler alert! St. Augustine becomes a Christian! What a surprise!!

I was surprised at how easy this was to read. Some of the theological and philosophical puzzles Augustine was grappling with I might not have totally understood, but as far as the events and what they meant to Augustine go, I'm pretty sure I got a solid grasp. And...yeah. That's about all I have to say. Anyone interested in early Christianity, this is a pretty compelling read.

4/5

2 comments:

Lezlie said...

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this when I read it. I'm glad you liked it, too!

Lezlie

Veronica said...

Lezlie, I don't think I ever would have thought to read this on my own so I'm glad my history class required it.