Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber

the crimson petal and the white
michel faber
c. 2002
848 pages (253 read)
stopped reading 7/8/2009

read for: themed reading challenge

*may contain spoilers*


The story of Sugar as she rises in society in 19th century England.

There's your very brief plot description, as I didn't finish the book. I wanted to. I wanted to like this book so much. But I just couldn't. I couldn't connect with the story, the characters, anything. I had to win an argument with myself every time I tried to convince myself to keep reading. So I've given up. I will say, the thing that kept me going so long and makes me want to look into other Faber novels was the writing style. It was written as if someone was talking to you, as if you and he are standing in the street following these people. And that I really liked. Unfortunately it wasn't enough.

1/5

No comments: