Friday, November 7, 2008

Daisy Miller - Henry James

daisy miller
henry james
c. 1878
98 pages
completed 11/6/2008

*may contain spoilers*

This was much shorter and different than I expected. I don't know if the author meant it to be so, but to me it just seemed like a cautionary tale for young girls. Don't flirt, don't act improper, don't hang out with foreign men who are beneath your status, otherwise you will die of malaria. Or whatever Roman Fever is supposed to be.

I wasn't too impressed. It was not very engaging, and none of the characters were sympathetic, especially Daisy. No one was in any way likable. Though I did find it interesting that while Winterbourne grew increasingly more appalled by Daisy's behavior, so much so that he stopped seeing her altogether, I got the impression that had HE been the one that Daisy was spending so much time with he would not have disapproved of her behavior quite so much. Very hypocritical.

2/5

3 comments:

KT said...

Yeah, I just read this a couple of weeks ago for my American Lit class and basically hated it. Of course then I had to write a big paper on it. So it goes.

so, I've started a new blog and hopefully will keep up with it. I hope it's not creepy that I'm looking at past entries of yours.

THIS IS YOUR SISTER BY THE WAY

Veronica said...

You know your picture shows up along with your comment.

And feel free to read all my old entries. I do.

KT said...

Yeah, but I thought I would remind you who I was anyway.