Monday, May 19, 2008

Classics Meme

I will be officially joining the Classics Challenge 2008 in June when the sign up is posted and once I've chosen my books, but in the meantime, I'll take some time to fill out the pre-challenge meme.

1. My favorite classic is Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
2. The classic I had the toughest time finishing is Adam Bede, mostly due to the author's writing style I think.
3. I would recommend Treasure Island to someone who doesn't read a lot of classics or who doesn't generally like classics because it was not meant for literary analysis or as a social commentary on its day, just a pure adventure story for entertainment. A super fun way to enter into the world of the "classic."
4. To me, a classic book is a book that stands the test of time: one that is still loved and/or studied at least 50 years after they were first published. A classic defines the era in which it was written. It revolutionizes peoples' thinking either because of the subject matter or the writing style. A classic is iconic.
5. The type of relationship I have with classics is somewhat forced. I want to be "well read" and part of that is knowing your classics. Sometimes this is easy and enjoyable while other times this is somewhat difficult.

3 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I can agree with the "forced" relationship. I like reading classics, but sometimes they can be such a chore! Not a big fan of George Eliot's work, but I haven't read Adam Bede (it's on the shelf and will probably stay there for a while!). Thanks for playing along!

maggie moran said...

Treasure Island is my favorite, too! When I first started working at the public library I used to reccomend it, but it always came back unread. They found it hard to read b/c of the language.

CJ said...

See, there's another one for my list. I have no idea how I'm going to pick my books!

Thanks for the suggestion.

cjh